After reverting back to using the orange highlight, I realised that something was needed to give more context to the scenes, to show that this was all taking place in the street, especially as the scenery at the top almost resembled mountains, reminiscent of wild west films. So I added lampposts and windows, which, as well as clarifying the scenery, also provide handy sources of lights which add to the dramatic lighting of the characters.


Next, I changed the lighting to feel more in keeping with the time period, as well as more natural and warm, rather than the cold white modern glow I had previously. I also added in a lamp on the right to balance out the image, as it felt a little heavy on the left, and some lamps to the middle performance (currently unlit).

The addition of the floorboards in the middle was to give the performer some weight, something to stand on, although now it is too bold and so attracts the viewers attention too much.


Made the floorboards less bold, but added light to the lamps either side of the middle. Don’t think they work well here, and probably aren’t needed.


Removed the middle lamps and made the centre figure less bright (so that he feels more like a part of the centre image rather than separate). I also added more figures and a bar so as to make the space feel more populated and make it clearer that the scene is taking place in a pub. When I was drawing the extra characters, I realised that my poster was so far very male dominated, so I made sure to include more women to try and balance this out. Perhaps if I were to redo this poster I might consider making Jacobus Parker and/or Cast-Iron Billy a woman instead, as the typical modern day view of the Victorian era is very male dominated (causing many women’s achievements to often be overlooked or diminished when looking at history) and there is not enough female representation in modern media. While my story is based on historical figures, at the end of the day it’s a story and I can change it how I like, even if that means changing a character’s sex or gender.


Added some tones to the skin on the people and hands, as part of the brief said the poster needed to reflect the diversity of London. Felt irritated at myself that, while I had remembered about that part of the brief, I hadn’t properly considered it when drawing characters.

Regardless, I felt that I’d finished this poster as much as I could, especially with the deadline looming, so I sent it off for the competition, which I sadly didn’t win or even come in the top 50. I hadn’t really expected to win, but it would have been nice to get something from all the work I put into it.

Some criticism that I received from fellow students about this piece:

  1. The 3 large costumed Jacobus Parkers in the middle are slightly lopsided.
  2. When printed, the poster appears a lot darker than it does on screen.
  3. The bottom image appears squashed in, and doesn’t feel as much a part of the rest of the image. It was suggested that having a background would help, like the scenery at the top of the poster.

Overall, most people liked it, but I decided that I’d revisit the piece, taking the criticism into account.

All London Transport Museum project related posts:

Third year Project 1: London Transport Museum Brief
Cast Iron Billy
London Transport Museum Competition Progress 1
London Transport Museum Progress 2
London Transport Museum Progress 3
London Transport Museum Progress 4
London Transport Museum Progress 5
London Transport Museum Progress 6 – Final Submission
London Transport Museum Progress 7 – Epilogue and Reflective Summary


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s